PROUDLY WE HAIL
No symbol better signifies our nation's greatness than our American flag—the Stars and Stripes. The Proudly We Hail program encourages regular display of the flag by individuals, commercial establishments and industries. This outstanding program promotes Americanism as well as community recognition by the sponsoring Exchange Club.
We are currently looking for a local Grayslake business and/or residence that has a flag properly displayed with a spot light to be eligible for the Proudly We Hail award. Please email us with your suggestions!
It is customary to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and stationary flagstaffs, except during inclement weather. It may be displayed at night to produce a patriotic effect if proper lighting is provided.
Weather permitting, display the flag every day. Always hoist the flag briskly, and lower it ceremoniously. Flags should always be flown on national and state holidays and other days proclaimed by the United States President. When handling the flag:
- Never show disrespect to the flag.
- Never dip the flag to any person or thing.
- Never display the flag with the union down except as a signal of dire distress.
- Never allow the flag to touch anything beneath it.
- Never carry the flag horizontally.
- Never use the flag as drapery nor to receive, hold, carry or deliver anything.
- Never place anything on the flag nor attach any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture or drawing to it.
- Never embroider the flag on cushions, handkerchiefs and the like, nor should one print it on objects intended for temporary use and then discarded.
- Never throw away a flag. Badly worn flags should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by private burning.